Neck and Back Pain at Christmas
Does giving up your bed for the in-laws give you back pain at Christmas, or just a pain in the neck? Just to let you know that we are open between Christmas and New Year (Wednesday 28th – Sat 31st December) ….. in case you should need us!
Rushing and wrapping, cooking and napping … these activities, and other seemingly harmless undertakings, can make Christmas and New Year a perilous time if you suffer from back pain or other musculoskeletal problems. We hope that the following tips will help you to stay pain-free over the festive period:
- Use an inflatable pillow to provide good support for your head and neck.
- Roll a pillow, blanket or your jacket into a lower back support to avoid back pain.
- Once on your journey, try not to sit in one position for too long –have regular breaks and a ‘stroll and gentle stretch’.
- Lift suitcases/bags/Christmas presents with care – always bend at the knees when lifting. If possible, pack two small bags rather than one big one so you can distribute the weight more evenly.
- Always lie on a good quality mat or air mattress and take a travel pillow or, even better, your own pillow from home. Try not to directly lie on a hard floor.
- Place a pillow under your knees when lying on your back and between your knees when lying on your side.
- We all like to watch Christmas TV and possibly having a post-Christmas lunch nap on the sofa, however try to use a back support and do stand up and move around at regular intervals.
- Try to factor in a walk each day, a little bit of exercise will keep you mobile and help to burn off the Christmas pud!
Wishing you all a pain free Christmas and 2017! However, feel free to call us on 020 8977 3295 if you need advice of if you wish to make an appointment.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/teddingtonosteopaths.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/teddingtonosteo/single.php on line 35